Friday, March 13, 2009

"The Prisoner's Last Prayer"

The scene is the State Penitentiary,
Cell #1 on death row –
The time is one hour before midnight
When the prisoner is scheduled to go –
He kneels along by his little bunk bed,
His demeanor is hopeless despair –
His head is bowed, his eyes are closed,
And his lips are moving in this prayer:

Dear Lord,
I’ve been so wicked; I don’t know where to start –
I want to fess up while I can.
I’ve no right to ask Your forgiveness, I know;
I’ve no right to ask, but I am.

I’ve never been much for going to church –
Momma always told me I should.
I’ve no good points whatsoever to offer,
‘Cause, Lord, I ain’t never been good.

I’ve done many things that I shouldn’t have,
And not many things that I should –
And, Lord, I have hurt a whole lot of people –
I would change all of that if I could.

I’ve broken most all the laws and the rules
And all the Commandments, as well;
I’ve stolen and cheated, I’ve schemed and lied,
My sins are too many to tell.

The worst one of all, Lord, the reason I’m here
In this cold cell, Heaven forbid:
In the Bible ‘tis written, “Thou shall not kill!”
Oh Lord, have mercy – I did.

The preacher man told me if I would repent
And confess my sin to You,
That You would have mercy and forgive my sin,
And believe on your name, and I do.

I’m not worthy to ask Your forgiveness
For all the things I’ve done in my span;
I’m not worthy to ask, but I am.

The lights went dim in the prison that night
While society collected its toll;
A life was snuffed out, justice was served,
But now what will become of his soul?

His critics all claimed he could never reach Heaven –
He was destined for Hell instead –
For the hideous crimes this man had committed
God would never forgive – BUT HE DID!

(Author Unknown)

No comments:

Post a Comment